Pages

Friday, November 2, 2012

Press On!

Train yourself for godliness; 
for while bodily training is of some value, 
godliness is of value in every way
as it holds promise for the present life  
and also for the life to come
The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance
For to this end we toil and strive
because we have our hope set on the living God, 
who is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe . . .
Set the believers an example 
in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity. 
Until I come, devote yourself 
to the public reading of Scripture, 
to exhortation, to teaching . . . 
 Practice these things [spiritual gifts],  
immerse yourself in them, 
so that all may see your progress
Keep a close watch on yourself and on the teaching.  
Persist in this, 
for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers.
(I Timothy 4:7b-10, 12b, 13, 15-16)

My life is about my walk with God, about making progress, about revealing His character and His glory to others. Nothing matters so much as this. And nothing is so dangerous to a Christian as stagnancy or, worse, degression.

Let us know; let us press on to know Jehovah;
His going out is sure as the dawn;
He will come to us as the showers,
as the spring rains that water the earth. 
(Hosea 6:3)

What motivation! To devote myself to knowing God. Not growing weary in well-doing, but longing for Him. And not just longing, but pursuing, actively pursuing godliness, pressing on the upward way, striving for the higher ground.

This is what God requires of me. This is how I glorify Him. By toiling and striving and progressing and persisting.

Devoted to God, practicing godliness through the gifts He has given me, immersing myself in service to Him, progressing in sanctification, keeping myself pure.

God does not demand perfection.

He knows our frame; He remembers that we are dust. 
(Psalm 103:14)

He does require change.

Be transformed by the renewal of your mind.
(Romans 12:2b)

And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord,  
are being transformed into the same image 
from one degree of glory to another. 
(2 Corinthians 3:18)

God is on my side. The battle is the Lord's! Press on!

O LORD, I pray, give me success [in my Christian walk]! 
(Psalm 118:25b)

No comments:

Post a Comment