Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012



The Light of the World

I am the light of the world. I pondered this as I approached a group of rowdy teenagers just released from the highschool across the road. I caught the eyes of one or two and smiled but they only stared with hollow eyes.

I am the light of the world, I thought as I watched the myriad cars, pickup trucks, suvs, and buses hustling by in the street.

I am the light of the world, as a young lady jogged past me.

Not so much a light, I thought, but a spark. A very tiny spark. What is a spark on such a sea of darkness? I felt overwhelmed, like one against a troop (Psalm 18:29).

I cried to God. My soul aches for the empty souls around me, for I was once one of them. I want them all to know the fulfillment of life and joy that I have found for it so vast and marvelous! But how can I share the way to the path of life (Psalm 16) with those who pass me by, most with whom I have no opportunity to even speak a word?

Then the Spirit spoke to my heart. My God is a consuming fire (Hebrews 12:29). It is He who will lighten their darkness (Psalm 18:28), He who will kindle a flame in their cold hearts. Just as I may touch a burning candle to a tuft of tinder, He touches my life to a person's soul. A smile here. A word of kindness there. A helping hand, a look of understanding. Spark upon spark until His great love consumes!

A look of love may ignite, beyond those hollow eyes, a glimmer of hope, hope that will desire and yearn and search until it blazes with the Light of the world.
~
Father, use me to this end!
I am the light of the world only because
the Light of the world is within me.
I am a mere flicker on this sea of darkness,
but Your Spirit is strong
and able to overcome the darkness.
(John 1:5; I John 4:4)
Fire goes before You
and burns up Your adversaries all around.
(Psalm 97:3)
You, my God, are the  
Consuming Fire!
~
Matthew 5:14-16
You are the light of the world. . .
People [do not] light a lamp and put it under a basket,
but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house.

In the same way, let your light shine before others,
so that they may see your good works
and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
~
Hebrews 12:29
For our God is a consuming fire.
~
Psalm 18:28
For it is You who light my lamp;
the LORD my God lightens my darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment